Wednesday, September 25

this life is to take part in that which is bigger than our self
and so I carry this body to these places to exercise gratitude by realizing the shrinking difference between myself and place as this body exchanges oxygen with carbon dioxide and tree breath.

Walking over land helps my body accept that which I find difficult to acknowledge.
My heritage and cultural legacy - the questions I have about colonization and the way those who have come before me had assumed a dominance - that continues today largely unquestioned.
I try to walk often - along roads, up mountains, down to water - to find myself in the places I call home, because it allows me the time to arrive when I get to where I'm going.

Today I asked,
"How do I introduce myself in a good way?"
And we laughed, and laughed, because nobody had ever asked that question before.

I think it has to do with walking. It's a human speed and helps conversation. It's also an earth speed, and allows for mushroom finding and berry eating.
Today I can't decide which I enjoy more. Thimble berries or blue huckleberries. Life is good.


Roche de Boule trail, Hazelton B.C.
click for larger view

No comments: