Friday, October 25

15 years before I heard about Oka

I was crying in a university class, ashamed that I had not known these histories. We were watching a film that chronicled the conflict at Oka, that happened when I was 8 years old. I was 23 by the time I knew my government had waged war on my behalf against the First Peoples.

It took me 15 years before I was aware that Canada had been at war with Indigenous people inside the country I called home. Haven't heard of Oka? find the CBC History here. I stand in solidarity with all people who reserve burial grounds as sacred, and especially with those at Oka who resisted the expansion of a golf course proposed to do just that.

I'm writing today so that we can make sure that Elsipogtog is a story that is explored and written by conversation with friends and family NOW. That we choose to go beyond the stereotypes embedded withing our Canadian psyche and listen to a people (mostly women) who are saying Stop to cracking the land to release gas.
I stand in solidarity with the people of Elsipogtog, having only briefly visited the beautiful forests, rivers, and oceans at risk of destruction during our honeymoon recently. It is my understanding that the Mi'kmaq, Maliseet, Passamaquoddy, Acadian, and Settlers who are standing to protect ground and surface water. This is not a racial issue, but one of humans protecting the source of our lives - the earth. We are all welcome to join in living for the earth, the water, and the air. It is time to exercise our human responsibility to life.

The 'fracking' process of percussing the earth with chemical laden water to crack the earth and allow gas to be harvested seems sketchy at best, and catastrophic at worst. (click on blue words for more info)

'gasland' is a documentary that shares people's experiences in the united states who have been affected by these developments. I am concerned that future films will document this process in Canada (Although Damien and Caleb have already begun to document this in North Eastern B.C. with the film Fractured Land)

The conscious canadian is continuing to put out solid analysis of energy issues in B.C. and Canada. this article outlines some adverse experiences of fracking.

And finally, the camp at Elsipogtog has a website to convey information- and they are accepting donations by a paypal account.

Please spread the word - history is written each day, and in each moment. Let's ensure that Canadians are informed about the actions our governments take on our behalf - and the behalf of the earth. It is far more worthwhile investment to maintain, and enhance, the ecologies that we live and the water that we drink, then allow texas based companies fracture the land to extract gas at the expense of that which sustains us.

We need to be able to live and pay bills without jeopardizing the earth that sustains our life.

I really don't care what you stand for - but stand for something, otherwise you'll fall for anything - including the idea that LNG is clean, Fracking is safe, and that we don't need to change the ways we are living.

We are part of this story. We are writing our legacy, what are you going to do ?

No comments: